Thursday, September 9, 2010

And so the story of time soon ends with the fires of rebirth, and glorious chaos burns away the world

Hello... you people. I am Loki, god of chaos and darkness, brother of Odin the All-Father, and general celestial misanthrope. I suppose I should expound on that, although I wouldn't doubt my reputation precedes me, if not by many names. I have single-handedly conquered nations and then vanished, leaving only death and fire, and the confusion and mystery of a culture exterminated without cause- I have slain the very beloved son of Lord Odin (mostly because the little bugger got on my nerves) and now wander the lands of men until Ragnarok comes and I finally meet my sweet fate, and my Lord the Burner from the South, great Surt finally comes to end the world of the gods. But until then, I'm not against having some fun here and there. I get the feeling I am in good company in that regard.

The host of gods didn't take it well after I knocked off the All-Boring’s pretty-boy son. I managed an escape, but they eventually tracked me down. I spent a thousand years, bound by the magicked entrails of my own son, watching my beloved Sygn wither away as she endeavored to spare me the venom of the wrathful serpent, and when she was gone, deprived of her light, I found new strength in the chaos of pain that struck me in the darkness, showing me the light of Surt, and giving me a hunger for the end. As the decades passed, the power of the gaes waned, and I managed to sever the bonds that held me in that deep place, and came forth out of the ground into the light as if for the first time. The power still clings, however, drowning the power that is my birthright, and so I walk and scheme and build, learning the mortal magics and sciences. I wield them as my own, as none has ever before me, and construct great armies to kick the living Hel out of my brother's best efforts to maintain peace in the World of Men until the end.

That all seems rather dark and brooding, reading back on it, but that's not really me. I live for this pain now, this lust for knowledge and power, this great hunger for the end- for great Surt, who spoke to me through his Burners from the south, in the darkness where I lay in ruins next to the dust of my Sygn, to bring about what the Norns foretold, the Great War of gods and men, and the final sweet rest of oblivion.

I meet you, Heimdall, that we may slay one another- I meet you, Brother Odin, that my sons and daughters may devour the heavens and slay your kin. I meet you, death, with all the love of my broken soul. Come, Surt, I wait for you.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with some fun along the way- keep’s a god sane, you know.

8 comments:

  1. So, you're a masochist. Good to know because I'm a sadist, we could get along well. It's good to have a like-minded passionate engine of destruction here, all these other fools keep telling me about 'better ways to conquer' and 'subtlety, subtlety'. Not that subtlety is bad, it can be great, but I'm here to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no time for "fun". I have very definite, carefully thought out plans, which I will see to fruition. There shall be time enough for fun when I hold Glemaria firmly in the palm of my hand and when those whom I deem inferior wriggle like worms amidst the discarded refuse of my enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Indeed I expect we shall, Finnias, however, it is not my own pain that gives me strength, but pain itself- it is the blazing, sundering discord that is the chaos of pain that allows me to bypass this cursed gaeas and free myself, ever slowly, from its grip.

    Alicia- you might change your mind if you were forced to wait as long as I have for the blessed end to come-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia: Yes, well, when you only live for fifty or so years then I suppose you feel the need to make your mark or something. After about two-hundred and fifty you realize that the only thing really worth doing is that which make you happy. Fun makes you happy, hence the only thing worth doing is that which is fun.

    Loki: Drawing power from pain huh. Are you speaking literally or figuratively because if you're speaking literally that's a trick you have got to show me. So many people in pain around here I could blot out the sun with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fifty years? Two hundred and fifty years? How pitiful, to be reduced to counting one's life in years. I am not so constrained. Furthermore, I do not understand your persistent need to be enslaved by emotions. Happy? Fun? Such foolish weakness! You speak as a child or a dog, playing with a favored toy. I am not so easily amused.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then tell me Alicia, what amuses you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting- Are you not driven by ambition? I suppose to wander aimlessly for only one's own amusement seems juvenile no matter the length of your life, however, even the denial of one's gratification is in itself the embrace of another kind of desire. While our associate Finnias declares no meaning in life except for that embrace, you declare that there is no meaning in your own unless the fruition of your carefully-wrought plans is achieved.

    What then is there for you after you have reached your goal? Have you not then spent all that there is of the life you consider meaningful? I shall be dead once I achieve my plans.

    ReplyDelete