Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Obsession With Evil

I have noted, as I believe I have stated before, a disturbing obsession with evil, wickedness, and villainy on this blog. This ranges from the inane and sometimes unintelligible posts by this Finnias Ghall to the thought out and articulate posts of Alicia Fenn and Korluus. However, no matter whom the poster (with the single exception of the mysterious Lantern Hollow) the obsession with evil remains the same.

I am posting today in an attempt to stem this tide of salivatory excitement over such ignoble deeds. Though Korluus seems the best of you, at least his desire is perfection and he sees the legality of his means, even he seems to see himself as wicked and glory in it. This is foolishness, if a thing is evil then there is no point in pursuing it, rather make what you do into that which is good.

These are merely terms which we use to describe action after all, if something that must be done is deemed as evil then change the peoples perception of it, make it good in their eyes and good it will be. There is no need to revel in wickedness when all that we desire may be seen as a positive influence. Among the people who became my children, the Longminjong, I was once considered a wicked spirit of the mountains. An evil god who only came down from his high peaks to torment and persecute them.

This was, of course, before I took them under my wings and showed the power and gifts I could bless them with. Now my priests lead the people in worship, collecting offerings and leading rituals. They work magics which I have given them and use them to bless my people, to drive away wicked spirits, avert disasters, and encourage healthy crops, and healthy children. My people are greatly blessed because of me and they are happy to pay the taxes and offerings which I demand. Why you ask?

Because I do not laud myself with notions of evil or comfort myself with hopes of power to come. Because I bless them and guide them to a better life under my authority. Because I have given them a purpose and a peace, I have destroyed those that would threaten them and ruled them with my own harsh word. So they serve gladly.

It is my hope that I will be able to convert all of you to my understanding, that you may see the light and seek after that which is good and right, and that you may obtain the blessings of your gods.

8 comments:

  1. תּוֹחֶלֶת מְמֻשָּׁכָה מַחֲלָה־לֵב וְעֵץ חַיִּים תַּאֲוָה בָאָה׃
    This is my hope as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is strange, your script looks familiar, I can almost read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really care about good and evil personally -- I just go with whatever side I'm expected to oppose. Or I don't. Heehee, I love being unpredictable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abin-Thul, you're just as bad as Korluus and Alicia about over-thinking everything and analyzing stuff to death. Power. Manipulation. Subtlety.

    Good grief. Sometimes causing mayhem really is just an end in itself.

    The only thing I agree with you on is that there really is no "good" and "evil."

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no point in mayhem, it is simply the tantrum of those with power. The childish actions of those who have no purpose, no cause to pursue, who see nothing greater than themselves. It is pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I beg to differ, good sir- my goal, for example, is in itself destruction, in fact the very sundering of my world! What if your glorious plan necessitates chaos and death, and you just so happen to have a little fun with it- does that take away its purpose? It's meaning? No, I say- it is only the pleasure of the journey before the great reward of a goal achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The question then becomes WHY do you desire the sundering of your world? Destruction is not an end in itself but merely a means to achieve ends. Certainly it is a viable means to achieve certain ends, and yes there is pleasure to be had in the journey, but the ends must be the priority.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bull$&^#! Destruction is most certainly an end in and of itself. As is the pursuit of sheer, carnal pleasure. Both worthy ends for any being.

    ReplyDelete